Diary of an Equine Mum

Thursday, 5 January 2012

This Lack Of Riding Is Not Good For My Waistline!

I had all good intentions of writing a New Years Day post, but we are now the 5th January and here I am, a little late! I celebrated the New Year with friends at a local pub which friends are running. Its the first time in years that I have gone out, we have always gone round to friends houses for a party. Even though I enjoyed myself, I think I will have a bash at home next year......

Anyway we have been bashed with winter storms it seems since midnight struck on Saturday. Having the horses has been hard work battling with the elements. Putting my jods back on at the weekend was a bit of a squeeze....the Christmas pudding and the tub of Pringles seems to be sitting around my middle. So I am now on a strict detox - no carbs and been on it for 2 days now and haven't cheated as feel so much better. I feel lighter (which is a good feeling) and more energy. So lets see how long this lasts!

Its the lack of exercise too that has been taking it's toll. I went for a hack out last weekend for the first time in three weeks. This wasn't on Zeb - this was my friends lovely cob Shamus. It was weird getting back in the saddle again after riding 3/4 times a week normally. We only went for a little wander out and guess what my thighs were aching the next day.... How quickly you get out of shape! This Haynet Fit To Ride Club is going to be a good thing for me, with my waistline protesting at the lack of riding and the Xmas indulge!

The weather obviously has been a huge factor in the lack of hitting the saddle. I can count probably on one hand the mornings where is had been not lashing with wind and rain. I will confess I am probably a fair weather rider - I can't bear getting soaked to the skin for no reason. Remember Zeb is a woosey warmblood and I know he prefers to keep warm and dry! I suppose we are both well suited - both wooseys..... Zeb is more or less out of action at the moment as he has his shoes off. I always take them off in Dec/Jan time to give his feet a break and it also eliminates the guilt in not riding due to weather and lack of time with Xmas and work.
Anyway we are nearly into our first week of January. Zebs shoes go on at the end of this month, so I will be back to it and riding. It is actually quite nice having a break because I really look forward to getting back in my horses saddle again. Hopefully weather permitting I shall borrow Shamus again and we can hit the road again on Saturday morning. 

Roll On Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment