Diary of an Equine Mum

Wednesday, 16 November 2011

A Little Tribute To A Childhood Favourite - Thelwell!!


I have been round my mum's today and we were talking about childhood toys and what were our favourites. Thelwell ponies immediately was voted my favourite cartoon books and toys. I had Thelwell Curtains, Bed Spread, Books, Money Boxes etc - you name it if I could get a Thelwell pony on it I would have it! I just loved the comedic images of the children and their ponies. I don't think they have dated over the years either. Norman Thelwell had his first cartoon for Punch published in 1952 and led to a relationship which lasted for 25 years and over 1,500 cartoons, including 60 front covers. His first pony cartoon was published in 1953 and, by accident, led to a lifetime of association with the image of the little girl and the fat hairy pony.



stately homes, children and country pursuits have all been given the treatment. He was a master of sharp social comment and sheer zany humour, and the foibles of the British at work or at play were his favourite themes. He was also a serious landscape artist, painting in watercolour and oils. His 32 books have sold over 2 million copies in the UK and been translated into languages as diverse as Finnish and Japanese and his drawings have been used on many different kinds of merchandise including stationery, jigsaws, table mats, china, glass, door mats, socks and bedlinen.
Anyway my mum (who is bit of a hoader) went upstairs and came back down with the Thewell Curtains! She had unpicked it all so it was just the Thelwell fabric. It must be 30 years old. So I now have some fab Thelwell fabric to make use of. Thelwell cushion anyone?!



1 comment:

  1. I've always loved Thelwell, but no longer have any of his books - might have to search some out!

    ReplyDelete