Diary of an Equine Mum

Tuesday, 20 September 2011

It Was Also Thanks To Red Rum

I was really saddened to hear about the death of Ginger McCain yesterday. To see clips of Red Rum again on the news bought so many memories of my childhood and where my love of horses began. My much missed dad was no betting man, but he always had a flutter on the Grand National. I can clearly remember watching the Grand National on a Saturday afternoon on our black and white telly. My dad had put a few pounds on him to win and when RR romped home, my dad was absolutely elated! Ever since then, he would put £1 on to win for me on the Grand National, and something I have done every year since that Red Rum win in 1977. I have probably more losers than winners but I will always follow it, however controversial the race can be. So from 1977, I started watching FollyFoot Farm, Flambards and Black Beauty. From that day on my love of horses started. I am the only person in my family who is a horse lover. I asked dad not long before he died I wonder why I have got this horse bug from a very non horsey family? Apparantly the only horse connection was that my great grandfather was a farrier. So there is an equine gene somewhere! My love for horses will be with me forever.......

No comments:

Post a Comment